Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Yoga/Pilates

I took my first Yoga/Pilates class tonight at a local gym. One of my friends, Savannah, was sweet enough to invite me and boy, did I like it!

I felt so refreshed and calm once the class was over.

Yoga is for spiritual, physical, and mental discipline and pilates is for strength, flexibility and control of the body. So combined...to my surprise...it ended up being an INTENSE workout!
The instructor had the lights turned down low and she spoke in a real soft voice. I started out not doing very well and was super worried I wasn't going to be able to make it through the whole class! I started sweating and panting almost immediatly--I looked at the clock and had only been there 10 minutes!

I have been working out with Jillian Michaels "30-day Shred" and running on the treadmill but this was COMPLETLY different and I think that is why I enjoyed it so much. I really had to push myself to complete the full hour but felt really great when I did!

My legs and arms were shaking pretty bad in some of the poses but Savannah told me that will get better with time! Watching it on TV, it looks so easy and relaxing, but it actually is a GREAT workout. I'm not positive..but I sure feel like I burned lots of calories!

Towards the end of the class we did some relaxation and deep breathing exercises that felt sooo good! I almost felt like I was in a spa! It was much better, in my opinion, then busting my butt on the treadmill and being sooo out of breath and just worn smooth out..it was more calming for sure.


The classes are every Tuesday and Thursday night and I have a feeling I will DEFINITLY be back! My legs already feel like jello for goodness sake. ;)


What is your experience with yoga or pilates?!?

No comments: