Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sleep Apnea

I went to my sleep apnea doctor today for a follow up and realized I've never talked about it here on my blog. I guess it's not something I broadcast but it is an important part of my life so why don't I talk about it on here?

A little info on Sleep Apnea:

The Greek word "apnea" literally means "without breath." There are three types of apnea: obstructive, central, and mixed; of the three, obstructive is the most common. Despite the difference in the root cause of each type, in all three, people with untreated sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly during their sleep, sometimes hundreds of times during the night and often for a minute or longer.

Two years ago I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and Restless Leg Syndrome. I kept waking myself up by snoring and choking during my sleep. I was tired all the time...never felt rested...took naps almost everyday and soon realized at 23 years old...I shouldn't feel that way. I finally made an appointment and had two overnight sleep studies at my doctors office. I was "waking up" over 80 times per night. I put waking up in quotations because I didn't realize it..I wasn't coming fully awake but I was technically awake according the the 10,000 machines I was hooked up to. ;)

I had 13 minutes of REM sleep. Could you imagine?!?! This made me realize why I had ZERO energy all day, everyday. I wasn't sleeping AT ALL even though I thought I was. The doctors said there is no real rhyme or reason why I have this...my weight could factor in, the way my tongue and throat are shaped could be an issue, and then sometimes it's just because!

So, inorder to treat this monster I have to wear this every night to sleep...



Cute, huh?!

My husband is super supportive and calls me his "Lil Darth Vader." I was very embarrased at first and didn't want anyone to know. But, ya know what, life dealt me this card and I'm gonna deal with it like a real women! I didn't ASK for this so why make fun of me?! This is a serious condition that could cause major problems in your health and even death if not treated correctly.

I have choosen not to treat the restless leg syndrome at this time. The medication they prescribe for it is not something I personally feel comfortable taking. My mask alone has done the trick over the past two years so I think I will continue to just stick with that. (My doctor agress with this decision.)

And I tell you what, what a difference it makes! I wake up more refreshed..I don't feel groggy or crappy all day. I don't HAVE to take naps everyday..I don't get headaches as bad..I'm in better moods. It's amazing. I just want to put out there that if you or a loved one has snoring problems or wakes themselves up from snoring/choking PLEASE have it checked out! I would stop breathing (which caused the choking) for up to 30 seconds IN MY SLEEP! That is sooo dangerous and fatal. It makes your heart work overtime and can cause lots of other health problems including high blood pressure.

I have thought lots about raising more awarness for this condition because MANY Americans have this and aren't treated. So just be aware! ;) (Sorry for my preaching!)

----Check out American Sleep Apnea Assoc for more information.

----And if you have any questions please ask me! I don't mind. ;)

No comments: