Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Step-mommy..Thats Me!

September 25, 2010 changed my life forever. I became a wife. I realize I spoke of my wedding in my last post but maybe it's because I'm a newlywed! I think about it a lot and am still SO thrilled to be married to my dream guy.

Not only did I become a wife but I became a step-mommy too. This thrills me to death! I don't have any children of my own YET so maybe thats why I am so addicted to my 5 year old step-daughter.

The word step-mom just seems bad to me. I don't know why I think that because I love my step-mom to pieces but I feel like the world around us gives step-parents a bad name. Is it just me?

Anyway! I try to be the best step-mommy I can -- without acting like her "mom". I KNOW I am not her "mom" and I do not EVER want her to think that. I want her to love her mom VERY MUCH and know that I am her step-mom and love me very much too!

Hannah (yes we have the same name!) is the sweetest ray of sunshine I have ever met! Her and Ryan (my hubby) together make me smile and laugh constantly! I just adore my sweet little family so much!

This may sounds crazy, but when I first realized I was going to become a step-mom I started researching! I have an issue with looking EVERYTHING up on Google -- including how to be the best step-mom in the world! HaHa. (It was my first time as a parent figure; I was nervous!) Anywho, I came across the Top Ten Tips to Being a Good Stepmom that I saved on my computer and refer back to quit often.

They are:

1.Remember you are not their mom. ---I think I have this one down pretty good so far. I make Ryan do ALL the disciplining. (spelling anyone?!?!) I try to never overstep my boundaries!

2.Try To Keep Communication Open Between Families. ---Working on this one. ;)

3.Do Not Talk Bad About The Other Family ---NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. This is a BIG time rule in our house! If the other family is brought up we only speak VERY HIGHLY of them!

4.Be Involved In Her School Activities As Much As You Can. ---Just joined the PTCO (PTA)!! Super Excited!!

5.Love Them For Who They Are. ---Love, Love Her

6.Don't Compare Them To your Own Child. ---None yet!

7.Realize You Will Make Mistakes. ---Very true, very true.

8.Serve As A Mediator Not An Instigator. ---I Like This One!!

9.Be Involved In Their Lives. ---Ryan and I are VERY active in Hannah's life and will continue to be FOREVER!!

10.Learn From Their Lives. ---No Doubt.

I think coming from a split family with both a step-mom and step-dad I had a head start. I know how both families feel, I know how Hannah feels, so I try my hardest to be considerate of everyones feelings!

If you have any tips or advice for me...SHARE!! I love learning and trying out new things. If you know someone that is a step-mom or soon to be one..share this with them! I betcha they will appreciate it!








:) HJC

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Thanks for this! I am going to be a new step mom soon and could always use tips! :)

Amy Wenzel said...

So sweet! You three are very blessed!

Hanna said...

YOUR WELCOME TIFF! I KNOW YOU WILL BE AN AMAZING STEP-MOMMY! --- THANK U SO MUCH AMY!! YOU ARE TOO SWEET!

jill said...

love this. the world needs more fantastic stepmommmies ... unlike the wicked one i had. ha! (we totally call her catfish. to her face. 'cause she's a bottom-feeder and has a big, wide head. and whiskers.) your devotion to h is so evident and SO sweet!

Hanna said...

hahaha jill that is hilarious!! and thank u!!